Monday 10 October 2011

Stitching

I am currently editing my second panorama in Photoshop, I am taking points of interest, such as a tree trunk or stump and stitching that to the next image.
I am very aware that there are two different types of editing, destructive and non-destructive. It is very easy to edit destructively, however restoring the image back to its original state is almost impossible. When you edit destructively you are changing the image so the data is changed or lost. This is fine as long as you know you will never want the image back to its original state, but even so I feel it is best to make sure you have an original copy of the photo, or at least duplicate the original layer so that you can reference back to it when needed.
An alternative to this is working non-destructively, to do this you can use things such as layer masks which change the appearance of the image without taking away or changing its core data. This is a very good way to work as you can edit as much as you like and then simply hide the layer mask to go back to the original image. This is a way of working that I am going to try and use more often as in the past I have had issues where I have edited too much and can no longer get the image back to its original state.
The first thing I did when I opened photoshop was to create a very long document to fit all of my images in. To do this I opened my first picture and using the crop tool I dragged out a long area to the right of the photo, by double clicking in that space Photoshop stretched my canvas so I was left with something like this




This creates space to add the other images.
I have already added all of my images so they are in the right order and roughly where I think they need to be but as you can see I have a lot of work to do with the differences in lighting and colour. 



I have started trying to blend the lines so that the proportions and angles look right, once I have done this I will then start to look at blending the colours and lighting together to make it flow round nicely. I still believe that even with all of the blending that I need to do, I can finish this panorama by tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment