Thursday 26 January 2012

The speeches

After having listened to the speeches I have decided that the two I like the best are John F Kennedy: Ask not what your country can do for you and Earl Spencer: The most hunted person of the modern age. I feel that Earl Spencer's speech is very emotive and powerful however the pace of the speech is a little slow so may be hard to keep it interesting. 
The JFK speech is very strong and powerful and the pace is a lot faster which will be easier to edit to, however, I am less familiar with what the speech is about so will need to do more research into it before I can fully decide.


The first thing I did to get a better look at the speeches was to highlight the words in the speeches that I thought were the most important. This helped me to understand the speech and see the order of which it is spoken. Below you can see JFK's speech with the highlighted words.


JFK: Ask not what your country can do for you




After this I then entered the speeches into www.wordle.com which is a site that takes to words and makes them into a cloud, in this the words that are used most frequently appear bigger than the words that are only used once or twice. 
This is a great way to see what the most important words are and can give you a really good idea of what the speech is about an who it is aimed at. Below you can see these clouds for both of the speeches.


JFK: Ask not what your country can do for you



Earl Spencer: The most hunted person of the modern age

No comments:

Post a Comment